Re: semilunate carpal

Patrick Norton wrote:

>(2) Aerial locomotion: The "swivel wrist" was evolved for orientational
control (steering and stability) during aerial descents.<

Tim, that is not at all what I'm saying. I'm talking only about evolution
of aerodynamic orientational control in cursorial animals.

Then I apologize for the misinterpretion. Orientational control during aerial "ascents".

Change that to "aerodynamic orientational control in cursorial animals". Sorry, Pat, I think I misinterpreted you again!

I actually like the idea of the feathered forelimb and manus being used for aerodynamic orientation. However, I think they were used in aerial descents by climbing theropods. I also think this aerodynamic ability of the forelimb came after (and directly from) the predatory stroke.

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA-ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall