Re: semilunate carpal

It is written:

> >Well, really, imagine how much strength it takes to keep the kick with
> >the foot claw from bouncing the _Deinonychus_ *away* from the
> >_Tenontosaurus_, bucking or not;
>
> Good point.  Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
>
> --SNIP--
>
> >The ancestral form that started developing the sickle-claw would have
> >had this same problem; how do you keep a clawed kick from making the
> >*second* kick much harder to deliver by bouncing you back from the prey
> >animal?

Considering the meat hook profile on these pedal unguals, I can't see a problem
here.  Sharp hooks don't bounce off; they snag.  Have you ever had the problem
of your cat's hind claws bouncing off your arm when it is trying to kick the
Jehosephatz out of your arm meat with its strongly recurved pedal unguals?  I
didn't think so.

-- Ralph W. Miller III   ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu