Re: semilunate carpal

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 01:51:11PM -0700, Dino Guy and Computer Gal
scripsit:
> It is written:
> > >The ancestral form that started developing the sickle-claw would
> > >have had this same problem; how do you keep a clawed kick from
> > >making the *second* kick much harder to deliver by bouncing you
> > >back from the prey animal?
>
> Considering the meat hook profile on these pedal unguals, I can't see
> a problem here.  Sharp hooks don't bounce off; they snag.  Have you
> ever had the problem of your cat's hind claws bouncing off your arm
> when it is trying to kick the Jehosephatz out of your arm meat with
> its strongly recurved pedal unguals?  I didn't think so.

But the cat *does* bounce; that's why it holds on with the forepaws when
it does that.

In the case in question, it's single feet at a time, and a *lot* of
force; it would have to be, against thick-hided prey.  So the tendency
will be for at least half the force to go into lifting the predator
rather than injuring the prey if there isn't some sort of countervailing
grasp.

--
                           graydon@dsl.ca
               To maintain the end is to uphold the means.