Re: semilunate carpal

In a message dated 8/8/01 4:09:04 PM EST, rbi@dana.ucc.nau.edu writes:

<< I thought Caple, Balda, and Willis on their paper on the physics of
preflight pretty convincingly argued that the ground-up track was physically
and mechanically possible, and that even small development of feather-like
integument would aid a cursorial predator. >>

But the other track, that is, from arboreality to flight, is surely >even
more possible<. E.g., a small development of feather-like integument would
also aid an arboreal animal, partuclarly in ameliorating the Falling Problem.
Also, it has been a long time since I read that paper, but I recall being not
particularly convinced by their arguments.