Re: Zuniceratops

Quoting "Chris Collinson" <chris_collinson@hotmail.com>

>Are any elements from the frill on Zuniceratops known?

In a recent article (cited below), Wolfe mentions that "a partial squamosal
preserves the contact for the jugal" (this was after the other "squamosal"
was re-identified). "This and other frill fragments suggest that the
_Zuniceratops_ frill is likely to be relatively thin, fenestrate and
probably without epoccipitals."

Wolfe, D. G. 2000. New information on the skull of _Zuniceratops
christopheri_, a neoceratopsian dinosaur from the Cretaceous Moreno Hill
Formation, New Mexico. pp. 93-94, in S. G. Lucas and A. B. Heckert, eds.
Dinosaurs of New Mexico. New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science
Bulletin No. 17.

>Are any fril elements of Turanoceratops known and that could be used to
infer the apperance of Zuni's frill?

No frill elements have been described for Turanoceratops (and they are
presumably unknown)--this is according to Glut's _Dinosaurs: The
Encyclopedia_.

These ceratopsians were doing interesting things with their crania. . .I
found it quite surprising when I saw the cast of a _Zuniceratops_
postorbital horn at the 1998 Dinofest--they're just too big for something
that "primitive." And the apparent lack of a nasal horn is also odd. I had
always envisioned that nasal horns evolved first, postorbital horns second.
Of course, there's always the possibility that _Zuniceratops_ is an
odd-ball, or it secondarily lost its nasal horn in favor of increased size
for the postorbital horns. Reduction of the nasal horn happened more than
once in the ceratopsian lineage. . .

Andy
Andrew A. Farke
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
501 East St. Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD  57701

andyfarke@hotmail.com