RE: relatively rare basal tetanuran pics

here are some additional remarks;

on Megalosaurus

the document mentions an early and late Jurassic age (Jurassique inférieur
et supérieur), actually the only species that definitely belongs to the
genus Megalosaurus, M. bucklandii, is middle Jurassic (Bathonian). Belgium
and Morocco have not yielded remains belonging to the genus Megalosaurus;
the only Belgian record was based on a manual phalanx (Neotheropoda incertae
sedis) from the Bernissart quarry (Wealden), that was incorrectly assigned
to "Megalosaurus" dunkeri, the isolated element instead belongs to an
indeterminate medium-sized neotheropod (perhaps Neovenator or even
Baryonyx). Moroccan remains were referred to "Megalosaurus" saharicus, but
these belong to an advanced allosaurid that received its own generic name,
Carcharodontosaurus. The only definite remains of Megalosaurus bucklandii
are from England (but the French middle Jurassic fauna probably also
included this species, since the contemporary stegosaurian genus
Lexovisaurus has been found in northwestern France). It seems like the
document's interpretation of the genus Megalosaurus is largely based on the
"wastebasket" status of this genus (however, during the last decade, there
have been several efforts to clean this up).

on the stegosaur

the French middle Jurassic stegosaur remains are almost certainly all
referable to Lexovisaurus durobrivensis, in fact some of the best remains of
this species (a partial skeleton) were found in French deposits.

Gunter Van Acker

GunterVanAcker.mesozoic@pi.be (home)
or
Gunter.VanAcker@Electrabel.com (work)

Waylon Rowley wrote-

> I've come upon a nice collection of photos from the
> taxa *Piveteausaurus*, *Eustreptospondylus*, and
> *Megalosaurus* which I have never seen. Just thought
> I'd share the URL with everyone so that at least you
> know where to look when that obscure question about
> these animals pops up.
> http://perso.club-internet.fr/jflhomme/pdf/pldino_vsm.pdf

Mickey Mortimer wrote

It should be made clear that only the braincase (Ci-dessous Arrière crâne)
actually belongs to Piveteausaurus.  The vertebrae and teeth are referred to
this genus with no justification.  The two cervicodorsals may belong to
Eustreptospondylus, but I cannot verify this.  They are strongly
opisthocoelous with large pleurocoels, so it's possible.  I'm far less
certain about the dentary fragment and vertebrae said to be Megalosaurus.