Re: semilunate carpal

In a message dated 8/9/01 11:06:22 AM EST, twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com writes:

<< _Archaeopteryx_'s integument is highly derived, but its osteology is much
 less so (hence its "mosaic" morphology).  As I said in a previous response,
 _Archaeopteryx_'s skeleton is not all that different from that of many
 non-avian maniraptorans.  (Professor Ostrom, take a bow.) >>

The skull of Archaeopteryx is much more birdlike than the skull of any known
dromaeosaurid. Dromaeosaurids branched away from the bird lineage quite a bit
earlier than the appearance of Archaeopteryx. I'd say their "ghost lineage"
is about 20 million years long. Something like the ghost lineage of ostriches
from flying paleognaths.