Re: Velociraptor v. Protoceratops?

Tom Holtz wrote:
<<  The two guys were actively fighting, and the Protoceratops dies first from
its wounds, trapping the Velociraptor underneath the body.  They are buried
later, but not before the Proto. is scavenged. >

This is my favorite scenario, based on my having seen the fossil. They done
for each other!

Whatever happened to the sand storm concept? Why all the floods and slumping
dunes? The sandstone matrix is similar that of the nesting oviraptors. Man,
these critters were STOOPID if they couldn't keep away from dangerous dune
slopes while nesting etc. The matrix was so featureless that I still vote for
sandstorm, which was the original suggestion of the authors, later concepts
like slumps notwithstanding.
Another note -- the "vertical" position of proto vs the "horizontal" position
of velo. To my eye, velo is flat on his side (okay, horizontal) but proto is
flat on his belly. So--is that vertical? New translation from Russian
requested, please. Perhaps the original paper said "upright," which would
make sense if we mean "on all fours," not on its side, not on its nose or
tail. to me, it looked to be flat on its belly. That means the two critters
were on a flat substrate together, velo on its side, proto on its belly. Then
came the sandstorm, before, after or during their mutual expiration (probably
after). Then along comes a hungry varanid, digging in the sand, and voila!--
armless proto. Then came more sand. Then, much later, came humans with funny
little excavating tools and wild ideas.

Thomas P. Hopp
Author of DINOSAUR WARS, a science fiction novel published by iUniverse
Now Humans are the Endangered Species!  http://members.aol.com/dinosaurwars