RE: semilunate carpal

Tom Holtz wrote:

> Has _Proceratosaurus_ ever been considered a maniraptor?

In at least some of the most parsimonious trees in my Ostrom Symposium
paper, a Proceratosaurus-Ornitholestes clade comes out within Maniraptora.

I'm guessing this is using Gauthier's definition of Maniraptora (= all taxa closer to Neornithes than to _Ornithomimus_), and followed by Holtz (1996), rather than Sereno's newer definition (= all descendants of the most recent common ancestor of _Oviraptor_ and Neornithes).

I don't want to sound cheeky, but does this analysis take into account the exclusion of the referred manus (AMNH 587) from _Ornitholestes_?

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA-ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall