Re: semilunate carpal

Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/9/01 3:32:19 PM EST, smithjb@sas.upenn.edu writes:
>
> << Oh good.  Let's take and throw out an entire class of putative data simply
>  because no one has sat down and examined what can really be done with it....
> >>

> And let's also reinstate the dinosaur genera Deinodon, Altispinax,
> Palaeoscincus, and other no-longer-nomina-dubia based on teeth. At least
> until someone can take a look at them.

I don't immediately recall suggesting that we NAME isolated teeth.  I also don't
remember stating that we should presume that theropod tooth genera are anything
but Latinized specimen numbers.  However, isolated parts are a fact of life when
dealing with fossil vertebrates and it is probably in our best interests to
focus some attention and energy on dealing with such elements.

--
Josh Smith
University of Pennsylvania