Re: Another FAQ

George Olshevsky (dinogeorge@aol.com) wrote:

<The skulls of Tyrannosaurus and Tarbosaurus are >at least< as
different from each other as are the skulls of Tyrannosaurus and
Albertosaurus. Look at the tooth counts, the jugal spread, the tooth
shapes, the postcrania.>

  Aside from the exclamation...

  I would like to point out that the skulls of *Tarbosaurus* and
*Tyrannosaurus* are very distinctive from *Albertosaurus*, and in the
same degree as well. While the jugal flare and tooth count may be
distinctive, this is not apparent when the skulls are fleshed out ...
you would have to examine the animals in intimate detail to
distinguish these. I was not saying the _skulls_ are identical, but
to the same degree that from a distance, a large jaguar and a large
leopard are similar in size and appearance, as is the skeletal
anatomy of a smalle lion and small tiger, and that of a large
leopard, without knowing the intimate details. I think you would be
hard-pressed to distinguish the skull of a large *Tarbosaurus* and a
small *Tyrannosaurus* in this matter ... and would like to be able to
demonstrate this ...

  If an independant artist would conjure up the head and neck of
both, fleshing out, with identical coloration, and offfer these for
examination to the list, it would be an interesting experiment...

=====
Jaime A. Headden