Re: To Fred Bervoets

In a message dated 8/10/01 3:44:55 PM EST, Mickey_Mortimer11@msn.com writes:

<< Okay, now I'm confused.  Back in February of 1997
(http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/1997Feb/0514.html), you wrote A.
lammersi and T. tilletti should be retained as the correct names because the
ICZN ruled that the emendation was unjustified.  Has this changed? >>

That was me buying into a position that I later discovered was incorrect. The
ICZN didn't rule on anything; Peter Dodson obtained a letter from the
secretary, Philip Tubbs, that supported his side of the Avaceratops
lammersorum argument, and I was snowed. But I subsequently realized that a
mere letter from the ICZN secretary is not a ruling, so I reverted to my
earlier position. The spellings used in MM #3 first printing will be the ones
I'll use from now until the day the ICZN actually publishes an Opinion that
conserves the incorrect original spellings.