Re: To Fred Bervoets

? ?Dear Hono(u)red Persons,

Although this is the 21st century by common reckoning, there is no call to
abandon proper
grammatical usage of ancient languages, now "dead" by many generations.
While current idiomatic
English (and Modern Persian/Farsi, among other kindred Indo-European
languages) lightly discards
gender and even number agreement, classical Latin and ancient Greek allowed
no such liberties.
Their respective powers of expression through case and gender suffixes made
attributions and
relationships unambiguous. It behooves us to hono(u)r their conventions,
which, by the way, were
the very reasons they were the preferred modes of communication among
savants and clerics during
the Western Middle Ages and the subsequent Western Renaissance and Western
Enlightenment in
which we continue to operate.

On paper, it is a small matter, akin to nit-picking. Still, it hearkens back
to our cultural and scientific
roots and should be observed to the best of our abilities. There is no shame
in anchoring our
nomenclature to the usages of Linnaeus (A.D. 1707-1778), Caesar (100-44
B.C.), Theophrastus
(ca. 372-ca. 287 B.C.), and Aristotle (384-322 B.C.).

The digital future may be alarmingly different, but we're not there yet.

-= Tuck =-