SUPERB BOOK: DINOSAURS OF THE ISLE OF WIGHT

    Having received my copy, last week, of DINOSAURS OF THE ISLE OF WIGHT,
edited by and, judging by attributions at beginnings of chapters, largely
written by David M. Martil and Darren Naish, I'd like to 'shout it from the
roof tops' that this is a book that, IMO, no one serious about knowing of
dinosaurs of the Early Cretaceous should miss out on getting.  I know others
have discussed and praised this book on-list, so please forgive me, but when
I read something this good, I've just got to talk a bit about it.  So here
goes:

    This 433 page gold mine of information, insight, and excellent images
is, at least for me, the most useful dinosaur book since Donald F. Glut's
DINOSAURS, The Encyclopedia (and that book's supplements), and it is a lot
more readable and enjoyable.  It is a QUALITY soft cover book bound in
signatures, the best and most durable way to bind the pages.

    Quite aside from its dinosaur wealth, the book has information on, and
great photo plates (#s 45 & 46) showing, a pterosaur (Istiodactylus
latidens) that is so wonderfully bizarre -- and the teeth mouth so strange
and awesome as to evoke nightmares in the susceptible -- that youngsters
probably shouldn't be allowed to look at the photos just before going to
bed.

    There are even some thrills for those of us fascinated by dinosaur trace
fossils (ichnites), such as footprints, coprolites, and gastroliths.  The
great track photos (a spectacular one is in color) and illustrations are
very useful.  Adding a bit of paleo-ichnological mystery to the feast, in
Text-Figure 10.4 (images a and b) one sees two examples of a rather large,
seemingly tetra-dactyl (four-toed) dinosaur footprint cast (natural, not
man-made) of unknown origin that is strikingly similar to a somewhat smaller
one I found here in the Early Cretaceous of Maryland.  I've been puzzling
over the possible origin of that good-quality but highly unusual track for
over a year now, and it is interesting to see that the Early Cretaceous of
the Isle of Wight reveals something similar.

    Hey, you dinophiles out there in dino list land, don't find yourself
searching the internet in a couple of years looking for an out-of-print copy
of this book that might by then be as hard to find and expensive as Greg
Paul's PREDATORY DINOSAURS OF THE WORLD.  Send for this book now.  You will
not be disappointed. (Neither Darren nor anyone else asked me to recommend
this book.  I'm just relating my personal excitement.)

    If you are in the U.S.A., here's how to obtain this indispensable book
by air mail:

    Just send a personal check or money order (U.S. funds) for $37, payable
to THE PALAEONTOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION (Note that British spelling.),
requesting the book be sent by AIR MAIL, to:

    Dr. Tim Palmer C.Geol., F.G.S.
    Executive Officer, The Palaeontological Association
    I.G.E.S., University of Wales
    Aberystwyth SY23 3DB
    Wales, U.K.

    Dr. Palmer's: