Re: SUPERB BOOK: DINOSAURS OF THE ISLE OF WIGHT

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:38:35
 Ray Stanford wrote:
>    Having received my copy, last week, of DINOSAURS OF THE ISLE OF WIGHT,
>edited by and, judging by attributions at beginnings of chapters, largely
>written by David M. Martil and Darren Naish, I'd like to 'shout it from the
>roof tops' that this is a book that, IMO, no one serious about knowing of
>dinosaurs of the Early Cretaceous should miss out on getting.  I know others
>have discussed and praised this book on-list, so please forgive me, but when
>I read something this good, I've just got to talk a bit about it.  So here
>goes:
>
>    This 433 page gold mine of information, insight, and excellent images
>is, at least for me, the most useful dinosaur book since Donald F. Glut's
>DINOSAURS, The Encyclopedia (and that book's supplements), and it is a lot
>more readable and enjoyable.  It is a QUALITY soft cover book bound in
>signatures, the best and most durable way to bind the pages.
>
>    Quite aside from its dinosaur wealth, the book has information on, and
>great photo plates (#s 45 & 46) showing, a pterosaur (Istiodactylus
>latidens) that is so wonderfully bizarre -- and the teeth mouth so strange
>and awesome as to evoke nightmares in the susceptible -- that youngsters
>probably shouldn't be allowed to look at the photos just before going to
>bed.
>
>    There are even some thrills for those of us fascinated by dinosaur trace
>fossils (ichnites), such as footprints, coprolites, and gastroliths.  The
>great track photos (a spectacular one is in color) and illustrations are
>very useful.  Adding a bit of paleo-ichnological mystery to the feast, in
>Text-Figure 10.4 (images a and b) one sees two examples of a rather large,
>seemingly tetra-dactyl (four-toed) dinosaur footprint cast (natural, not
>man-made) of unknown origin that is strikingly similar to a somewhat smaller
>one I found here in the Early Cretaceous of Maryland.  I've been puzzling
>over the possible origin of that good-quality but highly unusual track for
>over a year now, and it is interesting to see that the Early Cretaceous of
>the Isle of Wight reveals something similar.
>
>    Hey, you dinophiles out there in dino list land, don't find yourself
>searching the internet in a couple of years looking for an out-of-print copy
>of this book that might by then be as hard to find and expensive as Greg
>Paul's PREDATORY DINOSAURS OF THE WORLD.  Send for this book now.  You will
>not be disappointed. (Neither Darren nor anyone else asked me to recommend
>this book.  I'm just relating my personal excitement.)

I briefly mentioned my praises in my New Mexico and Texas post, but I believe I
will elaborate.  Ray and George are more than correct in their assesment of
this book.  You could just imagine my excitement when I returned from a two
week trip to find the Isle of Wight book AND Mesozoic Vertebrate Life waiting
for me.

What is the most amazing about this book is that, compared with other fossil
assemblages, the Isle of Wight does not support a terribly huge dinosaur fauna.
Sure, there are a plethora of specimens, but compare it to, say, the dinosaurs
of Colorado!

HP Naish and Martill did such a good job that it is scary.  I wish that every
author/editor would do half as well as Naish and Martill.  This book is
absolutely crucial for anyone interested in the Early Cretaceous.  The artwork
and figures are beautiful, and the text is both insightful and easy to read.

As Ray said, snatch this one up while you can.  There are only limited copies,
and I also forsee a bottleneck for those trying to order it in the near future.

One of the best books in my library!

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY