Re: DIGIT LOSS INQUIRY

In a message dated 8/14/01 3:22:50 PM EST, Tetanurae@aol.com writes:

<< Where do you get your data for this, and why is it only irreversible in
dinosaurs? >>

[1] Nobody has found an unassailable instance in dinosaur evolution of the
reappearance of digital phalanges, or of the reapparence of a metapodial once
lost. (Also true of mammalian evolution, I believe.) This is actually rather
odd, because supernumerary vertebrae--particularly cervicals and caudals--do
appear from time to time in dinosaur lineages; why not supernumerary
phalanges?

[2] Extra phalanges and (perhaps--don't recall for certain) extra digits do
appear in the paddles of marine reptiles. We know they're extras because the
phalanx counts exceed the primitive 2-3-4-5-4 (or is it 2-3-4-5-3?) count in
reptiles. That's why I had to specify dinosaurs above.