Re: DIGIT LOSS INQUIRY

George Olshevsky wrote-

> [1] Nobody has found an unassailable instance in dinosaur evolution of the
> reappearance of digital phalanges, or of the reapparence of a metapodial
once
> lost. (Also true of mammalian evolution, I believe.) This is actually
rather
> odd, because supernumerary vertebrae--particularly cervicals and
caudals--do
> appear from time to time in dinosaur lineages; why not supernumerary
> phalanges?

Forgeting iguanodontoids, aren't we?  Iguanodon atherfieldensis and
hadrosaurids have three phalanges on manual digit V, I. bernissartensis has
four.  This is more than Camptosaurus, Hypsilophodon, Heterodontosaurus,
ceratopsians, thyreophorans, sauropodomorphs, theropods, Herrerasaurus and
Eoraptor.  Seems they must have gained more phalanges.

Mickey Mortimer