Re: Tarbosaur/Tyrannosaur-Velocirapter/Saurantholestes ???

K. Wicks wrote-

> Who has suggested that Tarbosaur battar become, Tyrannosaurus battar...
and
> why?

The species was originally described as Tyrannosaurus bataar by Maleev in
1955.  Only later did Rozhdestvensky (1965) place it in Tarbosaurus.  Later
still, Paul (1988) put it back into Tyrannosaurus, which was followed by
some workers, but not others.  T. bataar and T. rex are more closely related
to each other than Gorgosaurus, Albertosaurus or Daspletosaurus are, so
whether they belong in the same genus or not is a subjective matter.  The
reasons for placing them as sister taxa are listed by Holtz in his useful
Tyrannosauridae Tree of Life page-
http://phylogeny.arizona.edu/tree/eukaryotes/animals/chordata/dinosauria/tyr
annosauroidea/tyransystem.html

Lateral flange of maxilla obscuring cranialmost portion of maxillary
fenestra terminates along cranial margin of antorbital fossa
Curvature of ventral margin of maxilla even more pronounced than in other
tyrannosaurids
Dorsal surface of antorbital fossa contacts the nasal margin
Dorsal ramus of lacrimal with inflated appearance
Descending and dorsal rami of lacrimal meet at strongly acute angle
Rugose postorbital boss
Suborbital prong of postorbital
Frontal main body rectangular, only small triangular cranial prong remains
Supratemporal fossa occupies most of dorsal surface of frontal, fossae meet
along midline to form frontal sagittal crest
Nuchal crest mediolateral width more than twice height
Palatine trapezoidal
Two or more foramina on dorsal surface of palatine
Metacarpal II 170% length of metacarpal I or shorter
Distal end of manual unguals blunt

> And the same question with Velociraptor mongolensis and Sauranotholesties
> langesti? <--- ^--( sorry for the misspellings)

Paul (1987, 1988) suggested that Saurornitholestes langstoni was really a
species of Velociraptor.  Newly discovered remains of both (Makovicky 1995;
Norell and Makovicky 1997; Norell and Makovicky 1999; Currie and Varricchio
in press) show that they were quite different.  My phylogenetic analysis
consistantly places Saurornitholestes closer to Deinonychus than
Velociraptor.

Mickey Mortimer