Re: I'm back...

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: I'm back...

> BTW, thanks to all those who sent me the oviraptorid photos from
> [...] [www.dinosaurclass.com/dino0905.htm, still works].
> The hallux attaches as far down as in birds and looks
> reverted to some degree; the 2nd claw is big doesn't look hyperextendible
> to me... which may not say much :-)

AARRGH Am I blind. The hallux is disarticulated, and if mtI is in its
natural position, the hallux was probably reverted as in *Archaeopteryx* or
stronger, but it does NOT attach as far down as in most birds, instead it is
higher up as in Archie. Well, I'd be surprised anyway if it had been a
percher... :-) However, the proximal ends of phalanges II-1 and III-1 look
different, which might tell something. Mt II is slightly shorter than mt IV,
and if the digits II and IV had the same length the claw of IV was very
small. So I'd say claw II was at least as terrible as that of
confuciusornithids, maybe like in harpyias and cassowaries.
Peculiar ischium shape huh?