Re: Khaan pelvic girdle

Marco Auditore <maaudito@tin.it> wrote:

<I've seen, finally, the paper on Citipati and Khaan, and my
attention was captured by the pelvic region of the holotype (IGM
100/1127) and one referred skeleton (IGM 100/1002) of the last
animal. Unfortunately in the text there is no mention to this, but
from the figures its clear that the pubis is slightly retroverted and
the ischium is parallel to the tail.>

  In *Khaan* anyway, the pelvis is virtually identical to that of the
type of *Ingenia*. The pelvis is propubic, and the articulation of
the ischium is very shallowly offset (by degrees) from the pubis, and
is more or less vertical to subvertical.

<Initially I thought that probably this disposition of the bones was
caused by a breakage, but apart the good state of the fossils, the
disposition is identical in both the specimen. It was a coincidence
or its possible the presence of a degree of opisthopubicity in
Khaan?>

  This is not likely: as I said in the last post [sent privately by
accident], the pelvis is identical to that of a specimen of *Ingenia*
that is fully propubic, and a similar position of the pubes are known
in caenagnathids and *Nomingia.* Any opisthopuby was likely either
deformation or disarticulation. I can say from having seen the
referred skeleton of *Khaan* (GI (SPS) 100/1002) that the lower
pelvic elements have been displaced relative to both the gastral
basket and the ilium so that they are rotated caudally and dorsally,
resulting in artificial positioning of the elements.

=====
Jaime A. Headden