Re: rampant speculation

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 01:49:30 -0700 "Mickey Mortimer"
<Mickey_Mortimer11@msn.com> writes:

[snip]
> Nice theory, but perhaps not needed.  There were plenty of Late
Cretaceous
> hypsilophodonts in North America- Thescelosaurus, Bugenasaura,
Parksosaurus,
> Orodromeus and lots of undescribed stuff (North Horn, Kaiparowits,
Wahweap,
> Straight Cliff, etc. Formations).  In addition, Late Cretaceous Asian
> ornithopods aren't completely unknown-
[snip]

True; in any event, it's much more of an Asian phenomenon than a North
American phenomenon.

[snip]
> Perhaps their apparent lack is due more to publication bias, as well as
> preservational.  After all, we haven't been getting descriptions of new
> Protoceratops, Pinacosaurus or hadrosaurid finds in the 90's either.

Another good point; I've also heard it suggested that some of the
Mongolian localities may represent large-scale theropod nesting sites
(oviraptorids, *Tarbosaurus*), which could also be part of the
explanation for the scarcity of small ornithopods.-*Thescelosaurus*

> Mickey Mortimer

Justin Tweet, *Thescelosaurus*
See "Thescelosaurus!": http://personal2.stthomas.edu/jstweet/index.htm

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!