RE: rampant speculation

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Mickey Mortimer
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 1:29 AM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: rampant speculation

David Marjanovic wrote-

> No problem for interpreting them as omnivorous, and the hands look suited
> precision grasping with the long, opposable thumb, don't they?

Ornithomimids' thumbs were not opposable.  They had a very limited flexing
motion, certainly not enough to grasp something.  Of course I think such a
hand would not limit omnivory, as ratites do fine without grasping hands.

Mickey Mortimer
Well, according to the following paper, some ornithimimds did have some
opposability.
Perez-Moreno, B. P., and Sanz J. L., 1995, The hand of Pelecanimimus
polyodon, a preliminary report: In: II International Symposium on
Lithographic Limestones, Lleida-Cuenca (Spain), 9th - 16th July, 1995,
Extended Abstracts, p. 115-117.

The primitive condition did have some opposability, Archaeornithomimus,
Gallimimus and Struthiomimus, while Anserimimus, Ornithimimus and
Pelecanimimus didn't have that ability.

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074