RE: Cryolophosaurus & the "Lufeng theropod"

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Waylon Rowley
>
>      Now, I'll get down to businesss. I believe that
> _Cryolophosaurus_, "_Dilophosaurus_" sinensis (which I
> will simply call the "Lufeng Theropod") AND
> _Dilophosaurus_ may form a clade.

An interesting idea...

> I'm not quite sure where this group may be situated,
> but my best guess is somewhere in the basal tetanurae,
> as Rauhut (2000) apparently believes.

Well, Rauhut apparently considers Dilophosaurus to be closer to birds than
to Coelophysis, but still outside the Ceratosaurus-Tetanurae clade.  He
apparently uses the (IMPO proper) definition of Tetanurae as neornithines
and all taxa closer to them than to Ceratosaurus; hence, Dilophosaurus would
be well outside Tetanurae.

(In Sereno's taxonomy, though, Dilophosaurus WOULD be a tetanurine, as he
uses Coelophysis rather than Ceratosaurus as a specifier).

>      The morphology of the lateral temporal fenestra
> of _Dilophosaurus_ almost looks like a transitional
> phase between the typical theropod condition and the
> distinctive division of the fenestra in
> _Cryolophosaurus_.

I am not terribly convinced that the "distinctive division of the fenestra"
in Cryolophosaurus is anything other than postmortem damage, based on photos
of the type skull and examination of some casts.  That is not to say that it
might not have had a Dilophosaurus-like infratemporal fenestra, though.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite