Re: MESENOSAURUS ERRATA.

In a message dated 8/21/01 9:16:22 AM EST, luisrey@ndirect.co.uk writes:

<< So yes, I apologize for the inclusion of Mesenosaurus as part of the bird
 lineage. That is obviously the Past. That illustration is from 1994 OMNI
 magazine BCF article. For an update (and what George Olshevsky also propose
 now: instead of Mesenosaurus a prolacertilian) see the new 'BCF' article in
the
 new Dinopress Vol 4. and the next one Vol 5. >>

Right, I agree with the current assessment that Mesenosaurus is not a
diapsid. Ivakhnenko & Kurzanov were pretty convincing, however, and besides,
Mesenosaurus as they redescribed it fit quite well with my idea of an
ancestral archosaur. After reading Dave Peters' recent paper on pterosaur
origins and prolacertiforms, I think prolacertiforms come the closest to
being archosaur ancestors within Diapsida. Not to mention [1] several
prolacertiforms show antorbital fenestrae, which was (once) an archosaur
autapomorphy, and [2] prolacertiforms include Cosesaurus, Longisquama, and
Megalancosaurus in various places in their cladogram, all of which I once
included in Archosauria as basalmost archosaurs or dinosaurs. Dave's paper
gives us a much better handle on the relationships of these reptiles and
indirectly explains why pterosaurs were considered archosaurs for so long.