From: Mike Taylor <mike@tecc.co.uk>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
CC: mike@tecc.co.uk
Subject: Two new FAQs: Everything You Wanted To Know About Cladistics
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:21:07 +0100

OK, thanks to everyone who's contributed to the last couple of
classification-related FAQs.  I think I now have those more of less
under control, although there are still some comments left to
integrate.  I'll see to it in due time ...

In the mean time, I have finished the initial draft of two more FAQs,
also to do with the knotty subject of classification: they are
``What do terms like monophyletic, paraphyletic and polyphyletic mean?'' at
http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/faq/s-class/phyletic/index.html
(which I think I may have mentioned on-list before)
and
``What is cladistics? How reliable is it?'' at
http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/faq/s-class/clad/index.html

Now I _know_ I have bitten off more than I can chew with the second of
these.  I know that my examples are clumsy and my explanations
awkward.  This is a big subject, and I am doing the best I can with
from my position of limited understanding -- remembering that building
a FAQ that's comprehensible to newbies is actually much _harder_ for
an expert than for a fellow-newbie such as myself.  (At least, I
assume that's true, otherwise one of you would have done it, right?
:-)

Anyway, I ask you all please to be gentle with me this time :-)  I
welcome all feedback -- as critical as you like -- but please try to
make it _constructively_ critical!

Thanks as always,

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor | <mike@miketaylor.org.uk> | www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Light-speed isn't fast enough.  We'll have to go straight to
       ... Ludicrous Speed!" -- Dark Helmet, "Spaceballs"