Re: Thick Tyrannosaur Bones

In a message dated 8/24/01 3:28:31 PM EST, ptnorton@msn.com writes:

<< I recall that in Jurassic Park (the book), Crichton depicted T. rex as
 swimming "like a giant croc", powering itself using an undulating tail. I
 don't know how plausible that would be, but I thought it would make an
 interesting image and I've often regretted not seeing that scene portrayed
 in any of the movies. >>

The intervertebral articulations in tyrannosaurid tails would pretty much
prohibit the kinds of undulations available to crocs and fishes.
Tyrannosaurids were, after all, tetanurans.