Theropod Swimming (was Re: Thick Tyrannosaur Bones)

From: "Steve Brusatte" <dinoland@lycos.com>

What I was trying to get at is that the overall morphology of >Tyrannosaurus doesn't necessarily reflect the body of a swimmer, >although it isn't impossible.

Hmmm... I'm suddenly reminded of a quote from Greg Paul's _Predatory Dinosaurs of the World_:

"In fact, the long, slender toes, powerful limbs, and supple tails show that theropods were _better_ at mud walking and swimming than the stumpier-footed, stiffer-tailed herbivores... Most theropods probably swam with their hind limbs and a sculling action of the tail. Because the chest was filled with lungs, they swam hip-heavy, with the head held clear of the water."

At any rate, I know the sense in which your were implying your above comment, Steve. I just wanted to once again emphasize the fact that theropods were likely better swimmers then they were once credited to be. (And please note that I'm not overly sure how well the above quote translates over to the tetanurans. Were their tails so stiff that their swimming abilities might have been considerably inhibited?)

-Jordan Mallon