Re: Archosaur Origins...was:MESENOSAURUS ERRATA.

In a message dated 8/24/01 12:31:01 PM, Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:

<< Perhaps earlier than Triassic: Permian is not outside the realm of
possibility, and indeed, the Permian glaciation and generally cool climate
may have fostered the evolution of endothermy and an insulatory integument in
some of the earliest prolacertiforms. >>

Permian? I don't think so. There were NO archosaurs until just before the
P/Tr boundry, and we know that insulatory integuments didn't evolve until
later, as we know from skin impressions. [Walking on Eggs has some nice
photos of baby suropod skin]

eric l.