Re: Predator-trap theory debunked for Utah Allosaurus site

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 06:54:18
 Jordan Mallon wrote:
>>From: bh480@scn.org
>
>>From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org
>>
>>A story posted by the Salt Lake Tribune discusses new
>>evidence from the famous quarry containing thousands of
>>Allosaurus bones. Evidence for a "predator trap" at the
>>site no longer appears convincing.
>>
>>http://www.sltrib.com/08232001/thursday/125102.htm
>
>Alright, I read the article, but still have one nagging question: if this
>mass assemblage of thousands of _Allosaurus_ fossils does not represent a
>predator trap, then what is it?  I >highly< doubt that a familial group of
>some thousand allosaurids would be able to support itself for any period of
>time.  Seems this new study has raised more questions than answers (so far).

Well, as Darryl said, there weren't really 1,000+ allosaurs present.  I don't
recall if 44 is currently accepted number, but that it what Madsen published
years ago.

The big question is whether 44 allosaurs was too large for a familial group.
Because of their size, probably yes.  However, it is much easier envisioning 44
allosaurs happening to die in the same spot than over 1,000.

I agree with Scott Sampson when he points to the lack of shed teeth, broken
bones, scattered bones, etc. as evidence to discredit the predator trap
hypothesis.  There may have been a flood, which I see as more probable than a
drought, that brought the carcasses of say, seven familial groups together.

However, I don't know very much about the geology of the area.  The clues are
in the rocks.  Exactly what was the origin of the rock in which these bones are
found?  Are there signs of a small current?  How are the bones scattered?  To
even begin to guess what happened I would have to look at this information.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob