Re: Theropod posture-in-motion article

Dann Pigdon wrote:

> bh480@scn.org wrote:
> >
> > From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org
> > In case nobody's mentioned this, a new view of theropod
> > posture and motion is discussed at:
> >
> > http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/dinosu
> > it010827.html
> >
> > This topic was also discussed in the on-line news section
> > of Science magazine last week, but you need a subscription
> > to read it.
> > http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2001/820/
> > 2
> >
> > Haven't seen the Journal of Experimental Biology yet,
> > though.
>
> To be honest, this research (if it can be called that) seems full of
> holes. How can a human body, no matter how many weights and bits of
> lumber are strapped to it, ever mimic the stresses felt by a theropod?
> You'd have to have major surgery to alter the way the leg muscles attach
> to the pelvis, and to restrict the range of motion of the knees and
> ankles. A human, who has walked in a certain way most of their life,
> straps on some hardware and declares "ooh... this feels weird. They
> mustn't have done it this way" after only a few hours or days. It must
> be so!
>
> Now, if the subjects had radically different skeletal and muscle
> structures, and had lived their entire lives as a one-man-hardware
> store, perhaps then...
>
> --
>
> Dann Pigdon                   Australian Dinosaurs:
> GIS Archaeologist           http://www.geocities.com/dannsdinosaurs
> Melbourne, Australia        http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/

  This is strange research.  What about very minute movements of the
head, neck arms and trunk, not to mention some help from the tail that
could help an allosaur with a turn. It would be interesting to see how
much the trunk and tail could aid in a turn.  I cerntainly don't think
that the rest of their anatomy was a stiff as a board, literally.

 David Krentz