Re: Talluscoatum and Maniraptoran Tyrannosaurs

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 4:27 PM
Subject: RE: Talluscoatum and Maniraptoran Tyrannosaurs
--Oviraptorosauria
  |?-Caudipteryx
  `--+--Avimimidae
     `--Oviraptoroidea
While I've seen some people supporting this position of Avimimus onlist, exactly what are your reasons?
     `--+--Aves
        |  |?-Alvarezsauridae
        |  `---->Pygostylia
        `--Dromaeosauroidea (implied Matthew & Brown, 1922)
           |--Archaeopterygidae
           `---->Dromaeosauridae

I like it.
Oho! Someone's putting old Archie closer to Dromaeosauridae than to birds, and nobody protests? :-) Are people now generally accepting Paul 1988 and :-> :-> Marjanovic 2000 who said that Archie doesn't share more with Pygostylia than with dromaeosaurids?
I'd also like to say that Archaeornithoides and Byronosaurus may indeed be very closely related, but more work needs to be done.
Can I begin waiting for a paper? :-)

Regarding the next post in this thread:
What is Neocoelurosauria?
Why do you put Timimus into Avimimidae? (Not that I knew of a reason, other than general ignorance, of not doing so...)
What are proto-tyrannosaurs?
What unites your Iliosuchidae?
Aublysodon, Shanshanosaurus, Dinotyrannus and Nanotyrannus have recently turned out to be juveniles of Tyrannosaurus, Tarbosaurus, Tyrannosaurus and Tyrannosaurus, respectively, IIRC.
Deinodon is just a couple of undiagnostic tyrannosaurid teeth AFAIK, and a nomen dubium (the reason why nobody uses it).

Regarding the sculpture by HP Allan Smith:
So far, as far as I can tell, perfect. :-) The sickle claw looks very small to me, but I don't know how it really is in the fossil.