Re: Coelurosauria Cladogram is here!

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Mickey Mortimer wrote:

> Congratulations Grant!  I appreciate you using my analysis as the
> basis for the cladogram, and your use of the following sentence- "The
> phylogeny is tentative, however, and may change."  In the present
> case, this is especially applicable.  I'm in the process of making
> sure my codings are accurate, so I don't really support any phylogeny
> at the moment, but....  Removing the flight-related characters from my
> revision-in-prep analysis creates a different phylogeny than your
> website-

The spacing was messed up in the original post (does your e-mail program
use a monospace font, Mickey?)

> +--Tyrannosauroidea
> |--lots of basal coelurosaurs (compsognathids, Coelurus, Ornitholestes,
> Scipionyx, etc.)
> `--+--+--+--+--Alvarezsauridae
>    |  |  |  `--Avimimus
>    |  |  `--Ornithomimosauria
>    |  `--+--+--+--+--Oviraptorosauria sensu stricto
>    |     |  |  |   `--Microvenator
>    |     |  |  `--Caudipteryx? sp.
>    |     |  `--Caudipteryx zoui
>    |     `--+--Segnosauria
>    |        `--Protarchaeopteryx
>    `--+--+--+--+--+--+--Yandangornis+Pygostylia
>       |  |  |  |  |  `--+--Unenlagia
>       |  |  |  |  |     `--Rahonavis
>       |  |  |  |  `--Archaeopteryx
>       |  |  |  `--Microraptor
>       |  |  `--Troodontidae
>       |  `--Deinonychosauria (incl. Sinornithosaurus, Bambiraptor,
> Achillobator)
>       `--Bagaraatan

(BTW, if you're using this system for text-based cladograms, placing more
derived taxa toward the bottom makes it more legible, IMHO, avoiding the
"Menorah effect". e.g, this:

--+--A
  `--+--+--B
     |  `--C
     `--+--D
        `--+--E
           `--+--F
              `--+--G
                 `--H

...is easier to read than this:

--+--+--+--+--+--+--H
  |  |  |  |  |  `--G
  |  |  |  |  `--F
  |  |  |  `--E
  |  |  `--D
  |  `--+--C
  |     `--B
  `--A

At least, I think so. Anyone disagree?)

> By the way, you misspelled Sauriurae.

It has been spelled both ways -- not sure which has priority. But there
are several possibly more appropriate choices for the name of this clade,
such as Archaeornithes or Archaeopterygiformes.

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>
       Yahoo! Messenger        <Mighty Odinn>