Re: epidermal structures

Well said, Alan. Those darn epidermal structures are devilishly complex. One
of the wonders of nature, and we need to approach them carefully, lest we get
hopelessly tangled in terminology.
   That said, it is fun nonetheless, to speculate a bit on their origins and
interrelationships. Relevant to your insights on gene regulation and cell
differentiation, it has been my experience, while working with transgenic
experimental animals, that gene expression is exquisitely sensitive to
mutations in the regulatory, non-protein-coding regions (binding regions for
RNA transcription factors etc). Single point mutations can completely
suppress gene expression in a given tissue, and/or promote it in some other,
ectopic, locale. Quite amazing, and one of the reasons we must tread
cautiously when hypothesizing evolutionary relationships among body
structures.
   But pretty cool too, huh?

Thomas P. Hopp
Author of DINOSAUR WARS, a science fiction novel published by iUniverse
Now Humans are the Endangered Species!  http://members.aol.com/dinosaurwars