ARE PTEROSAURS REALLY 'HAIRY'?

brushes2@juno.com said, "The structures, often reconstructed on pterosaurs
are filaments. A more complicated term may be fringing elements. They are
indeed "hair-like". But they are not hair (as produced in mammals) and hence
not a pelage.

    I appreciate Allan's extremely useful and informative post, yet am not
aware that any in-depth analysis has been done of the hair-like integument
evidently fossilized on pterosaur body skin and perhaps (I seem to recall)
on their wing membranes that would conclusively determine that the
structures are not hair, per se.  There has been quite a bit of opinion
expressed on this in various places, but I have never seen any of it (on
either side) backed by convincing analysis.  If Alan or anyone else could
supply a pertinent reference and a synopsis of any such analysis and its
conclusions, it would be very much appreciated.

    And while on that subject, has any particular dermal or follicular
patterning ever been reported in connection with growth of the 'hair-like'
integument of pterosaurs?  This is not asked out of idle curiosity, and if
anyone will let me know if such has ever been reported and where, it will be
extremely appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Ray Stanford