Re: New JVP dinos

In a message dated 8/29/01 12:22:41 PM EST, guntervanacker.mesozoic@pi.be
writes:

<< While initially proposed as an early therizinosauroid, more recent
comments indicated that it probably was a "prosauropod", similar to
Lufengosaurus (a contemporary?). I understand from Dinogeorge's posting that
it is again mentioned as a therizinosauroid.

 Is it now unquestionably identified as a therizinosaur ?>>

Yes indeed.

<< Is the proposed early Jurassic age correct ?>>

Yes indeed.

<< Or does the JVP paper only contain a description of the fossils, without
definitely establishing its phylogenetic position ? >>

Paper is exceptionally thorough and answers all criticisms. Eshanosaurus is
found to be sister group of all other segnosaurs (=therizinosauroids), and
oviraptorosaurs are next outgroup to segnosaurs. Several characters of jaw
and teeth keep Eshanosaurus out of Prosauropoda and in Theropoda. I'd write
more but I have a lot of work to do at the moment, and everyone will have the
JVP issue shortly anyway.

If segnosaurs are maniraptorans, then this is by far the oldest known
maniraptoran. Since segnosaurs were at least proto-feathered (e.g.,
Beipiaosaurus), Eshanosaurus was likely proto-feathered, too.