Dinosaur Genera List corrections #172

By a peculiar coincidence, two new dinosaurs are described in the latest
Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, and both belong to the comparatively rare
group Therizinosauroidea (=Segnosauria) of Theropoda. Here are the citations:

Kirkland, James I. & Wolfe, Douglas G., 2001. "First definitive
therizinosaurid (Dinosauria; Theropoda) from North America," Journal of
Vertebrate Paleontology 21(3): 410â414 [August 22, 2001].

The new genus and species are Nothronychus mckinleyi, from the Moreno Hill
Formation, Upper Cretaceous (middle Turonian) of the southern Zuni Basin, New
Mexico. Other dinosaurs from this horizon include the horned dinosaur
Zuniceratops christopheri as well as unnamed hadrosaurs, nodosaurids, and a
"basal coelurosaur."

Nothronychus is already in the Dinosaur Genera List as a nomen nudum; this
paper makes it a formally described genus. So the entry changes to

Nothronychus Kirkland & Wolfe, 2001

The entry for this genus in the forthcoming Mesozoic Meanderings #3 second
printing changes to

Nothronychus Kirkland & Wolfe, 2001
    = Nothronychus Wolfe & Kirkland vide Stanley, 2001 [nomen nudum]
    N. mckinleyi Kirkland & Wolfe, 2001â
        = Nothronychus mckinleyi Wolfe & Kirkland vide Stanley, 2001 [nomen
nudum]â
NOTE: The names of this genus and species of therizinosauroid first appeared
in Arizona Republic for June 19, 2001 (R. E. Molnar, pers. comm.). They were
subsequently (August 22, 2001) formally described in Journal of Vertebrate
Paleontology 21(3).

Further along in the issue is the paper

Xu, Xing, Zhao, Xijin & Clark, James M., 2001. "A new therizinosaur from the
Lower Jurassic lower Lufeng Formation of Yunnan, China," Journal of
Vertebrate Paleontology 21(3): 477â483 [August 22, 2001].

This paper redescribes the enigmatic mandible previously described by Zhao
and Xu in Nature 394: 234â235 as an Early Jurassic therizinosaur, but without
a formal name.

So we add genus #920 to the Dinosaur Genera List:

Eshanosaurus Xu, Zhao & Clark, 2001

and its entry in the forthcoming Mesozoic Meanderings #3 second printing
becomes

Eshanosaurus Xu, Zhao & Clark, 2001
    E. deguchiianus Xu, Zhao & Clark, 2001â

The generic name comes from Eshan County, Yunnan, where the specimen was
discovered (lower part of Lower Lufeng Formation, Hettangian, Early
Jurassic). The etymology of the species name as given in the paper is to
honor "Hikaru Deguchiianus" for his support and encouragement to author Xu
Xing, but I think this may be a misspelling, perhaps for Hikaru Deguchi. Am I
wrong?

A substantial phyletic analysis demonstrates the therizinosauroid nature of
the mandible versus prosauropods and basal ornithischians, leaving
practically no doubt of its systematic position.

The Dinosaur Genera List appears at my website

http://members.aol.com/Dinogeorge/dinolist.html

The tidal wave of new third-millennium dinosaurs continues.