RE: ARE PTEROSAURS REALLY 'HAIRY'?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
brushes2@juno.com
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 5:58 AM
To: dinotracker@earthlink.net
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: ARE PTEROSAURS REALLY 'HAIRY'?

Dinolisters:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:51:19 -0400 "Ray Stanford"
<dinotracker@earthlink.net> writes:

>     I appreciate Allan's (sic) extremely useful and informative post,
yet
> am not
> aware that any in-depth analysis has been done of the hair-like
> integument
> evidently fossilized on pterosaur body skin and perhaps (I seem to
> recall)
> on their wing membranes that would conclusively determine that the
> structures are not hair, per se.

Exactly. Nor has anyone ever shown that they ARE hair. Hair being the
keratin structures produced by the mammalian integument. The questionis
unanswered. As far as anyone knows only mammals produce hair in the sence
it contains an alpha-keratin, is an aunbranched filament, and has the
particular cellular structure.

Tje structures are only "hair-like". Please note the use of quotes. The
resemblance is only superficial at this point.<<

You are correct in saying 'hair-like', and yes there is/has been research on
it;
Bakhurina, N. N., and Unwin D. M., 1995. A preliminary report of the
evidence for 'hair' in Sordes pilosus, an Upper Jurassic Pterosaur from
Middle Asia: Sixth Symposium on Mesozoic Terrestrial Ecosystems and Biota,
Short Papers, Edited by Ailing Sun and Yuanqing Wang, Published by China
Ocean Press, Beijing, p. 79-82.
Bakhurina, N. N., and Unwin D. M., 1995, The evidence of 'Hair' in Sordes
and other Pterosaurs: Journal of Vertebrate Paleontoloy, v. 15, Supplement
to n. 3. Abstracts of Papers, Fifty-Fifth Annual Meeting Society of
Vertebrate Paleontology, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, November 1-4, 1995, p. 17a.
Bakhurina, N. N,. and Unwin D. M., 1997, Pterosaur 'hair': In: ICVM 1997,
held in Bristol, Journal of Morphology, v. 232, n. 3, p. 231.

Can't remember off the top of my head if the following talk about hair or
not.

Frey, E., and D. M. Martill, 1996. Preserved soft tissues in a specimen of
Pterodactylus kochii (Wagner) from the Upper Jurassic of Germany. Journal of
Vertebrate Paleontology, v. 16, supplement to n. 3, Abstracts of Papers,
Fifty-sixth Annual Meeting, Society of Vertebrate Paleontology, American
Museum of Natural History, New York, New York, October 16-19, 1996, 35A.
Frey, E., and Martill D. M., 1998, Soft tissue preservation in a specimen of
Pterodactylus kochi (WAGNER) from the Upper Jurassic of Germany: Neües
Jahrbuch fur Geologie und Palaeontologie, Abhandlungen, v. 210, n. 3, p.
421-441.
Unwin, D. M., 1996, Soft tissue preservation and its significance for
pterosaur palaeobiology: In: Execeptional Preservation of Fossils, Processes
and Pwerspectives. A Palaeontological Association Review Seminar:
Unwin, D. M., and Bakhurina N. N., 1997, The significance of soft tissue
preservation for understanding the palaeobiology of pterosaurs: In: ICVM
1997, held in Bristol, Journal of Morphology, v. 232, n. 3, p. 333.

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074