Re: birds and avians again

In a message dated 8/31/01 1:54:24 PM EST, tmk@dinosauricon.com writes:

<< "Bird" is a vernacular English term and hence its usage is dictated by the
English-speaking public at large. I think it's pretty clear that most types
of dinosaur do not fall under the common usage of "bird". >>

Let me add that it doesn't matter that some dinosaurs don't look anything
like birds. Too bad. Groups are to be defined by relationships, not by
typology. Whales look more like fish than they look like horses. Do we then
classify whales within Pisces instead of Mammalia?