Re: Forelimbs of "Terror Birds" (WWB Mild-Rant Cont)

At 1:09 PM -0800 12/10/01, Jaime A. Headden wrote:
Art Sippo (ArtSippo@aol.com) wrote:

<The premier of WWPB last night showed a <SNIP>

  The bird in question was *Gastornis* -- <SNIP>

And did anyone notice the homage to WWD -- part one -- with the "scent-marking" *Smilodon* in
the South American episode? :) Of all the animals, I think they could have done those better,

Oh! I agree wholeheartedly!- the cats. WHY didn't they manage to get them more realistic? Plenty of modern examples. T'would have almost been more fun if they had just merged a Saber Tooth head on to a lion's body and done the chase and kill routine off of what has to be hundreds of miles of video footage that must be in the documentary library somewhere.

The "SLO-MO" as the predators closed in for the kill to make it more realistic? Ok. Drama - with the monotonic overtone voice with no head and whispering. Yes. Cracked camera lens as it gets kicked and all. Errr .......(sigh) Oh well. What do I want - to see a very cool depiction of science that will flesh out my world and take me back in time without fantasy just once? I must be mad. (don't any of you who actually know me answer that!)

but I felt everything was incredible but for two things ... the knuckle-walking chalicotheres
(Sorry, not possible ... eeek!) and the too-digital australopithecines ... who kept getting names!

You must mean the genitalia-challenged australopithecines with names?

The phorusrhacid, for those who missed it, had normal, tiny psilopterid-like wings. All prettied
up and colored to look like a secretary bird.

I didn't miss that. I was laughing. But thank you for bringing it up so I could chuckle again!

Sorry for the rant...

Not at all! :)))

Cheers,
MDW

PS: For those many, many of you who worriued about me after SVP but to whom I haven't been in touch with - thank you for all the get-well wishes and yes, I am beginning to feel my feet again. :)
--

                        =00=  =00=  =00=  =00=
                        Marilyn D. Wegweiser, Ph.D.

"How exceedingly stupid of me not to have thought of that!"
-Thomas Henry Huxley, 1859, after reading
                        Darwin's On the Origin of Species