RE: Abstracts & Illustrations

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Josh Smith
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 11:06 AM
To: NKing@usi.edu
Cc: 'dinosaur@usc.edu'
Subject: Re: Abstracts & Illustrations

Rather than repeat the entire text of a rather long email, I will just offer
my
support and state that I feel Norm is 100% correct.  You must SEE the
specimens.  Period.  You must also see the outcrop.  To quote Don Wise the
day
I entered his structure course, "The one who sees the most rocks before he
dies
wins."  It is true for fossils as well.

I agree to a point. Yes, one should see the material, BUT, when someone
can't the best and only way to JUDGE the specimen is either by the
photographs or illustrations. For example, Triceratops flabellatus by good
old MARSH is illustrated totally wrong! BUT, it keeps being USED in
scientific papers. Triceratops phylogenies have been used off this
inaccurate illustration! I must emphasize that THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH
DOING THE ILLUSTRATIONS RIGHT!!!
Tracy