Re: Status of _Utahraptor_?

George Olshevsky wrote-

> Bagaraatan does have fused interdental plates--or at least, a supradentary
> lamina. But it extends for only about half the length of the tooth row.
> Regarding the fragmentary pedal digits of Dromaeosaurus, they might belong
> a different theropod (e.g., a juvenile tyrannosaurid) washed into the same
> deposit. I don't think they have a very definite association with the
skull
> elements. What do Colbert & Russell 1969 say about them?

The supradentary lamina is separate from the interdental plates and also
seen in Dromaeosaurus, Velociraptor and most other well-preserved theropods.
"These (the interdental plates) are unfused, triangular and their apices
curve laterally and meet the septal projections of the labial sheet of the
dentary. >snip< Bases of the interdental plates, starting with that between
the fourth and the sixth tooth, are covered by a thin layer of dark matter,
which probably corresponds to the supradentary." (Osmolska 1996, pg. 6)
The pedal elements are merely said to have been found in association with
the skull, no details are given.  Whether or not they belong to the holotype
of Dromaeosaurus, the pedal remains are clearly dromaeosaur, with an
elongate proximoventral heel on phalanx II-2, which is long compared to
phalanx II-1 (which has a very extensive distal articulation).  I feel it is
most parsimonious to refer both to the same taxon and individual.

Mickey Mortimer