Re: BENTON ON PHYLOCODE

Oh yeah.. I keep mentioning this, but then forget to give the citation...

Benton, M. J. 2000. Stems, nodes, crown clades, and rank-free lists: is
Linnaeus dead? _Biological Reviews_ 75: 633-648.

A must-read if you are concerned about the code's implications.

Also somewhat new, and an amusingly-written article, but one with some interesting and thought-provoking implications:

Nixon, K.C. and Carpenter, J.M. 2000. On the other 'phylogenetic systematics.' Cladistics 16: 298-318.

...which seems (to me) to be a nice counterpoint to:

Cantino, P.D., Bryant, H.N., Quieroz, K. de, Donoghue, M.J., Eriksson, T.
Hillis, D.M., and Lee, M.S.Y. 2000. Species names in phylogenetic nomenclature. Systematic Biology 48(4): 790-807.

...as well as some of de Quieroz's (& Gauthier's) earlier papers. WARNING: this paper delves into the philosophical concepts of individuality and metaphysial consistency in nomeclatural practice. Certainly Nixon & Carpenter have some rather clear errors in their reasoning, but I do agree with some of their points...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jerry D. Harris
Dept of Earth & Environmental Science
University of Pennsylvania