Re: Pubic Pendulum

Hi Ray,

I think your idea of incorporating the boot in terms of nesting is an
interesting idea.  Perhaps not that this is an intentional adaptation in egg
laying, but secondarily if a theropod in the process of laying her eggs is
already in a squatting position, resting on its natural "pivot" which guides
the animal as it turns within the nest and deposits eggs uniformily, it is
surely an organized  system.  It would have to be dependent upon how many
eggs constitute a "clutch" and are they deposited all at one time.  I seem
to recall that in some circumstances spiraling layers of eggs would seem to
indicate more than one egg layer having occupied the nest. Is this then a
shared occupancy during one season or return use of nesting sites over the
years.  If this is the case it seems unlikely that a second female is going
to orient herself in precisely the same location as the first did.  Other
than protecting against damage to unborn offspring in crushing its own eggs
what other incentive might there be in creating these measured rings of
eggs?

Mike S.

: Re: Pubic Pendulum