Re: Pubic Boots and Dino Nesting

Hi Waylon,

With the recent focus on the close relationship between birds and dinosaurs
coupled with the bipedal nature of birds ( as opposed to the sprawling,
quadrapedal stance of crocodilian stock ), it is easy to get swept away in
the paradigm shift, even more so with visually thinking artists.  Although
there are obviously significant anatomical modifications in the anatomy of a
bird as we know it ( not only in terms of flight capability but shift in
mass and associated hindlimb movement ), I still see some behaviours and
movements that I find comparable to what I might expect from extinct
terrestrial theropods.  Observation of crocodilians adds still more relevant
information on how we must think about dinosaurs and a combination of traits
from both forms must be our most reliable sources in understanding the
nature of terrestrial dinosaurs.  An additional word concerning mammals.  It
is often suggested that caution be used when comparing mammalian forms to
dinosaurs i.e.the classic sauropod / elephant comparison.  Obviously an
elephant isn't a dinosaur and artists have been criticized for draping
sauropods in elephantine skin from time to time, which is indeed something
to be wary of.  However, just because an elephant isn't a dinosaur doesn't
mean we can't develop some constructive ideas regarding similarities in
movement,  postulated behaviours, etc... There are no air tight ways to test
implied behaviours in extinct animals, but I still prefer reasonably thought
out activity in paleo art, to static, lateral view, anatomical restorations.
They too have an important place and value, however paleontology ( the study
of dead things ) can only be enhanced by adding a "breath of life".  Many on
this list would say "LIFE IS A CLADOGRAM".  I would say "LIFE IS A
CLADOGRAM... AND A BAG OF DORITOS!"

Cheers,

Mike Skrepnick