RE: _T. rex_ debate in the newspaper

Isn't a bite in the sacrum likely to be a side effect of gouging out a chunk
of flesh from the back of the Triceratops? I was not saying that rex never
bit into bone, but that biting into vertebrae was not an effective kill
method, especially considering ceratopsian neck frills. To break the spinal
cord the rex would have had to have bitten down through a large depth of
bone, and would have been in contact with the Triceratops for longer than if
it ran up, bit out a wound, and waited for it to weaken. Dangerous for the
rex. With a less dangerous prey animal like a duckbill, a grab and shake
technique could easily have worked to seperate the vertebrae and break the
spinal cord, as the neck bones were weaker and the prey less dangerous, but
I still think that the rex would try to seperate two vertebrae, not bite
through them. I have seen these tooth marks, and to me they look tike the
teeth of the rex scraped along the sacrum as the triceratops pulled away, or
that the rex misjudged the bite area.