Re: Vertebrae Biting was Re: _T. rex_ debate in the newspaper

David Marjanovic wrote:

> > The next question, then, would be if there is any evidence of nerves
> connected
> > to T. rex teeth?
>
> Teeth (dentine) are sensitive enough for feeling the texture of what they
> are biting on. Try with your own ones!

Human teeth have a RICH array of nerves attached to them and inside of them.
Gee. Haven't you ever had your teeth filled?  If you've missed this rare
experience, you can always watch Marathon Man for a tantalizing demonstration.

> On the other hand, *T. rex* probably didn't rely on such precision, it
> didn't have lengthened canines. The meanwhile classical hypothesis -- it cut
> out a huge wound to immobilize its prey -- is quite plausible to me.

That may be so, but the original post had to do with whether or not T. rex
"crushed" the bones or chewed them up or did something to mess with the
vertebrae. Hence, an example of a modern animal that kills without bone
crushing.

ES

Dinosaur Interplanetary Gazette - When you think of dinosaurs, think of DIG!
Recommended by National Education Association, Encyclopedia Britannica Internet
Guide, Yahoo and Yahooligans Choice, Netscape Site of the Day. Member of The
Paleo Ring

A prequel to Teefr by Edward Summer
A Yahooligans choice.