Re: Liopleurodon size

Gavin Rymill wrote:

Furthermore, any "maximum" length for a known dinosaur is likely to have
less than any species achieved in life. I can't believe for one second that
all the skeletons found just happen to represent the biggest member that
ever lived of each species!!

Using modern reptiles as a template, dinosaur species most likely kept on growing throughout their lives, but once they hit adulthood the rate of growth slowed. I don't know if small theropods and enantiornithines followed this rule, or, if like modern birds (and mammals), individual growth ceased at a certain point.

However, if you're dealing strictly with facts then fair enough, its best to
stick with the stronger evidence and therefore more conservative estimates.
But, if you're only dealing with facts, Walking with Dinosaurs should never
have been made at all... which would have been a great loss.

Stay tuned. There's a sequel in the works. Provisionally titled "Walking with Beasts" it follows the evolution of mammals. Rumored to feature some early whales of the amphibious _Ambulocetus_ variety.

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall