Re: Liopleurodon size

> Using modern reptiles as a template, dinosaur species most likely kept on
> growing throughout their lives, but once they hit adulthood the rate of
> growth slowed. I don't know if small theropods and enantiornithines
> followed this rule, or, if like modern birds (and mammals), individual
> growth ceased at a certain point.

>From what I remember reading, theropods did continue growing through life,
but at a reduced rate. I recall that the size of therapods is a good
correlation for their age. I've inferred that in the new [possible] packs of
carnivores are of broad spectrum of sizes. However, if they stopped growing
after adolescence as in mammals then there would be a large number of
animals all of the same size, and a small number of juveniles.

That said, you did state *small* therapods. And I'd be uncertain there too.
My gut feeling for smaller animals, as a rule, is that they very quickly
reach their full size (as a defence mechanism against the evils of the
world) and then stop growing. Their dimuntive size must, after all, have had
a positive evolutionary advantage in the first place.

> Stay tuned.  There's a sequel in the works.  Provisionally titled "Walking
> with Beasts" it follows the evolution of mammals.  Rumored to feature some
> early whales of the amphibious _Ambulocetus_ variety

So I heard. And I was gutted to find that the long-awaited "second series"
was not, in fact, more Dinosaurs. Its such a shame that with all the
untouched material still out there that they moved to a different area.

Still, Big Al was pretty outstanding. Perhaps we will be treated to more
one-off WWD specials like that...

Gav

www.gavinrymill.com        ICQ: 33916140  /  AOLIM: ExtinctGav