Re: Volcanoes (comments on pterosaur extinction)

except, the iridium layer and all other impact-related features occur in the MIDDLE of the Deccan.....i.e. the Deccan traps were already erupting before the bolide hit.

BTW, the Triassic-Jurassic mass extinction PREdates the central Atlantic magmatic province (which is bigger than Deccan). So the volcanism can NOT have caused this extinction event.

Emma

Ken Kinman wrote:
I don't know much about geology, but it seems likely to me that the bollide collision probably set off a lot of the volcanic activity, and that this just added insult to injury and vulcanism was of secondary importance overall.
--
Emma C. Rainforth
Geosciences Rm. 206E