From: "Emma C. Rainforth" <emmar@ldeo.columbia.edu>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Volcanoes (comments on pterosaur extinction)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:51:29 -0500

except, the iridium layer and all other impact-related features occur
in the MIDDLE of the Deccan.....i.e. the Deccan traps were already
erupting before the bolide hit.

BTW, the Triassic-Jurassic mass extinction PREdates the central
Atlantic magmatic province (which is bigger than Deccan). So the
volcanism can NOT have caused this extinction event.

Emma

Ken Kinman wrote:
    I don't know much about geology, but it seems likely to me that
the bollide collision probably set off a lot of the volcanic
activity, and that this just added insult to injury and vulcanism
was of secondary importance overall.
--
Emma C. Rainforth
Geosciences Rm. 206E